What are the side effects of Melatonin?

Thanks. I have been taking 6mg Melatonin sporadically for several months. A few weeks ago I started taking it every night. I have noticed increased daytime drowsiness and a few days ago I was waiting in the car for my wife and when she came out she had a great deal of trouble awakening me. I was taken by ambulance to the ER......CT and MRI were reported as normal and all lab tests were normal. The whole episode was less that 30 minutes. I was wondering if the Melatonin could have caused this? I don't find any listing for side effects and was under the impression that it actually had few if any side effects. I also take HCTZ 25 mg and Lisinopril 40 mg each day and wondered if there had been reported any drug interaction between them and the Melatonin. I am a family physician and aside from the hypertension, I am in good health. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: causes daytime sleepiness, dizziness and headaches Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this excessive daytime drowsiness. Melatonin has been reported to have as main side effects The most common melatonin side effects daytime sleepiness,dizziness and headaches. It is therefore not surprising that you experienced these while taking this drug. I will like you to read some more about this on the following webpage WWW.WWWW.WW I strongly recommend that you review the reasons of taking this drug and probably stop if the reasons are not too strong. There have not been any reported drug interaction between melatonin and HCT/lisinopril. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.