What are the side effects of Implanon ?

my fiance has been on implanon for since about XXXXXXX or july 2010 first side effect she got was gainin almost 20-30 pounds but what worries me more, is the fact that; she has been haveing a sharp lower abdominal pain, and sharp migranes both at least once a week is there a possiblity of pregnancy or is this just a XXXXXXX side-effect?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX thanks for posting query.

Your concern and apprehension are understandable.

By and large Implanon is good contraceptive and effective also.The safety profile is also comparable to oral contraceptives.As with any other contraceptive some side effects like headache,abdominal pain and weight gain are commonly reported by many females.

In case your fiance is already having migraine this can worsen.Mild abdominal discomfort is common.Both of this if bothers her much and disturbs her day to day to routine then she need consult a doctor for evaluation of her complaints.

Pregnancy is not very likely as this is very effective method of contraception and effective in more then 98 % in of cases .Some times when intercourse happens in mid cycle or later then first 5 days of cycle that single cycle needs extra precautions.

You may consider doing an UPT ( urine pregnancy test) at home to confirm the pregnancy status , if you feel a need to do so.

I hope this will help you and your fiance in getting rid of this problem.

I hope I have answered your query , I am available to answer your follow up queries as well.
Follow-up: What are the side effects of Implanon ? 5 days later
i have movement in the bottom of my abdomen,stomach pain,tiredness,sore breasts while getting bigger. I am on implanon but as of the 21st of january i have started to gain weight. Am i pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 14 hours later

Good to hear from you.

I would like to confirm that your fiancée's chance of being pregnant is as low as 0.5%.

'Implanon' acts by slowly releasing progesterone like hormone. Progesterone is a hormone that is actually responsible for the symptoms that are seen during pregnancy. So it is obvious that the symptoms - abdominal pain, headache, breast enlargement, tender breast and others seen in pregnancy are similar to the ones that occur while on implanon.

Do not worry. Wait till she has her periods. Get the urine pregnancy test done, in case periods don't happen on time. The chance off course is less than 0.5%

Hope I have helped you in reassuring you.

Wish you and your fiancée good health and bright future.