What are the side effects of "Epitril" and how long should it be taken for dementia?
User rating for this question
my mother aged 82 is suffering from dementia. she has been advised epitril 0.5 mg at night what are the side effects and how long she should continue
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Alzheimer's
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Benzodiazepine. If tolerated , can be continued. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Epitril is Clonazepam which is a benzodiazepine drug which your doctor might have prescribed your mother for anxiolytic, sedative, and hypnotic properties. As such , if she is able to well tolerate it , she can take it for a long term. Common side effects are drowsiness, Interference with cognitive and motor performance , Confusion, Hallucinations. However , at this dose , they are unlikely to occur. You must have heard of Alprax (Alprazolam) tablets that people use to take as sleeping pills. Clonazepam belongs the to same group as Alprazolam. These drugs are misused by the people , but your mother can take it for a calm and good sleep. In case you find her sleepy or drowsy during the day time, you may discuss with your doctor regarding adding an alternative drug of same group , Etizolam , which has shorter duration of action. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
People also viewed
- Blood pressure 141 101
- Side effects of super fertile tablet 100mg
- Treatment and cure for alzheimer’s disease
- Haldol side effects dementia
- Symptoms of Early-onset alzheimer's disease
- Early-onset alzheimer's disease causes
- Treatment and cure for Early-onset alzheimer's disease
- Is dementia a side effect of depacon?
- Is dementia a side effect of zolpidem?
- Blood pressure 133 over 101
- Is dementia a side effect of pregabalin?
- 138 over 101 blood pressure
- Is dementia a side effect of lyrica?
- Blood pressure 141 over 101 bad
- What is the best prescribed drug for alzheimers disease