What are the side effects of "Epitril" and how long should it be taken for dementia?

my mother aged 82 is suffering from dementia. she has been advised epitril 0.5 mg at night what are the side effects and how long she should continue
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Alzheimer's
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Benzodiazepine. If tolerated , can be continued. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Epitril is Clonazepam which is a benzodiazepine drug which your doctor might have prescribed your mother for anxiolytic, sedative, and hypnotic properties. As such , if she is able to well tolerate it , she can take it for a long term. Common side effects are drowsiness, Interference with cognitive and motor performance , Confusion, Hallucinations. However , at this dose , they are unlikely to occur. You must have heard of Alprax (Alprazolam) tablets that people use to take as sleeping pills. Clonazepam belongs the to same group as Alprazolam. These drugs are misused by the people , but your mother can take it for a calm and good sleep. In case you find her sleepy or drowsy during the day time, you may discuss with your doctor regarding adding an alternative drug of same group , Etizolam , which has shorter duration of action. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD