What are the side effects of Cipralex? Worried about the chances of lifelong medication

Is there any side effect of taking Cipralex-5 mg tablet.
Should it be taken life long?
Please let me know am worried
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Radhika 48 minutes later

Cipralex (Escitalopram) is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) used in the treatment of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). The main side effects are difficulty in sleeping, tremor, diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, visual disturbances, fever (pyrexia), seizures, sleepiness, nervousness, sexual problems, etc.

It is normally not prescribed for more than 6 months and not for life long.

Tolerance to this drug varies among individuals and the side effects mentioned above may not be the same with every individual. So do not worry. Your doctor may have prescribed the drug as the benefits of the medication far outweigh the side effects risk. So take them as prescribed by your doctor.

Along with this you should try other measures like yoga, meditation to tackle your symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.