What are the side effects of Arimedex?

I have been told as by body fat is 27.2 and I am 5'6" and only 61kgs for medical reasons I must get my body fat down to just under 20 I have been given a script for Arimedex and told to have 1.5 daily am What will this do and what side effects etc?? I have 3 eggs and mushrooms for breakfast I have a salad for Lunch and protein in chicken or fish I have veggies for tea I drinks lots and exercise at gym 5 mornings a week for an hour I garden every weekend and work 6 days a week I need to get into Ketosis but my diet is not working I do not drink wine etc or eat lollies and rubbish foods What else should I be doing to get into Ketosis?????
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your current lifestyle does not need changes Detailed Answer: Hi I do not mean to dismiss what you had learnt and followed yet. I wish to ask you few queries 1) Who told you that you need to the body fat should be less than 20. Was it measured by a machine and a printed out? 2) Did you consult a doctor/physician? If it was machine read or printed out script I would ignore it for a while. Your weight is absolute normal for the height. Of course the body fat is on a higher side but it is not the right age or time to think to cut down the body fat rigorously (ketosis). Post 50 the muscles soon convert into fat as the high metabolism muscles do not function as they were doing earlier. Hence most of the carbohydrates & protein consumed would be converted to fat. I appreciate your lifestyle now and do not suggest any further changes grossly. However a physical trainer and dietitian can help you fine tune them. I would be completely against going into ketosis in a 50+ woman who is on Tamoxifen and recovering post brain surgery. You are taking Tamoxifen Armidex. I am not sure why were you prescribed this. Any reason? That helps me to say much about it what kind of side effects can be expected. Awaiting..
Follow-up: What are the side effects of Arimedex? 35 hours later
I was told by my doctor and of course you have gone straight to the surgery I have had when I told you I have total clearance so take away the surgery and answer my question please of how can I get into Ketosis and loose body fat? and How does Arimidex work at 1.5 tablets per day?Just because you think I am over 50 I am a hard working woman who does not appreciate you taking the easy road of saying it is age or tumor related!!!! I employed you yes I did to work with me on answering what I paid to find out Thank you I look forward to your answer and not the push away of going to see somebody else I wonder how long this will take you as you can see/read I am not happy with a wasted response XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Formula of selection of diet is 60/35/5 Detailed Answer: Hi I could hear the desperation from you. I am not sure if you have actually met any qualified dietitian who routinely prescribed Atkins/Ketogenic diet for weight loss. You should have heard by now the formula of selection of diet is 60% from fat, 35% from protein and 5% from carbs. So basically it is a high fat and low carbohydrate diet. Most mistakes that delays the state of ketosis are these: 1) Protein - It’s also important to not overdo the protein; a high-protein diet may prevent the body from entering into ketosis. Protein should be set at about 1.5 to 1.75g of protein for every kilogram of your ideal body weight. 2) Changes in components of the diet- The dietitian can try to increase the fat to carbohydrate ratio. There is a possibility to add carnitine and medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil can be considered. This is more likely to help than reducing calories per day to enter ketosis. The calories from carbohydrates should definitely come from whole grains and not from refined carbohydrates. 3) Timing / Duration - Studies revealed that the ketosis diet would or should work within 3 to 6 months after starting it. There is no benefits if it prolonged over one year. 4) Activity - Exercise would definitely help in faster ketosis than diet alone. 5) I guess Arimidex would help to enter ketotic state faster. However I am not sure how it works for you. I think you should speak to the doctor who prescribed it. Since there is narrow therapeutic value for the ketogenic diet I wish you to follow up twice a week with your dietitian and at least once in two weeks with the doctor for Serum sodium, potassium and urine ketone body check. Ketosis is a double edged so it is my job to educate you on this as well. I hate to be employed for such a job which can narrowly push the person in front of me into the risk. Hope this answers.
Follow-up: What are the side effects of Arimedex? 3 days later
Thank you kindly you have given me all the relevant answers I need and I appreciate your help in this matter Have a great day and know you are on the right track when you listen to and hear what the client is asking and not assume to take the easy road out regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 days later
Brief Answer: Please close and rate the discussion Detailed Answer: Thank you. Please rate my answer and close this discussion