What are the side effects if I change from EsCitalo to Citalo?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Hello Dr XXXXXXX I am the guy with the shoulder and neck pain . I am taking Cipralex 10mg now, my shoulder pain is nearly gone . The pins and needles sensations in my face and neck is gone also . I think the first 3 days are the worst regarding the side effects . Nausea is the only side effect that is lasting now but i think its getting better . I appreciate your help on this . I have a question , if i decide to change from EsCitalo to Citalo will this cause side effects for me ? I am asking cause price difference is big , Citalo is much cheaper here . Also regarding the dosage , i heard that EsCitalo is twice as effective as Citalo , so if i change will i have to switch to Citalo 20 ? Or just take Citalo 10 ? Thanks
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 3 days later
Brief Answer: Citalopram 20 mg is equal to 10 mg escitalopram. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back! I was sent your question just now. I am glad to know that you have improved so much and I expect you will notice further benefit in the next few weeks. It is said that escitalopram has somewhat less side effects than citalopram but many of my patients have not noticed any such difference. It may just be a strategy of pharma companies to sell a costlier medicine. So, in my opinion, there is no harm in trying citalopram instead of escitalopram. But you would need to double the dose. That is, for 10 mg escitalopram, you will need 20 mg citalopram. If you feel that side effects are worse, then you can switch back to escitalopram. Hope you continue to do well on citalopram as well. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Follow-up: What are the side effects if I change from EsCitalo to Citalo? 26 minutes later
Thank you dr XXXXXXX , appreciate your help a lot .
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome! Detailed Answer: Hi, You are always welcome! I hope next time the website team does not take such a long time to post a query. Wishing you all the best, Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Follow-up: What are the side effects if I change from EsCitalo to Citalo? 1 minute later
It is ok , you were very helpful . I will get back to you when i want to quit the medicine . For now i am better . I will give you 5 stars :)
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Thanks. Detailed Answer: Thanks.