What are the side effect of tattoo needle for veins and heart?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I wanted to know what veins are present in the back mostly the upper left side of the back. Also if any foreign substance like tattoo ink we're to be in the bloodstream, what could be the side effects for veins and the heart.
I am a tattoo artist and a client is telling me I got ink into his bloodstream through a vein. I strongly doubt this as I would imagine that if I had actually been able to go XXXXXXX enough to hit a vein.. blood would have been pouring out. His words are "his heart had to pump irregularly fast to evacuate the ink which caused hyperventilation and an asthma attack XXXXXXX

what is your take on this
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The tattoo needle can reach a superficial vein and prick it but a prick in the vein will cause the blood to come out once you withdraw the needle. Most of the times it is the thin capillaries which are affected and the ink is not likely to reach the heart.
The symptoms that your client had are more likely to be due to an allergic reaction or anxiety. He needs to get his cardiac work up done to rule out any cardiac problems as well.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: What are the side effect of tattoo needle for veins and heart? 5 hours later
Are there any superficial veins or veins that run on the upper back, specifically the left side. Are these superficial veins visible?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
There are superficial veins present all over the body including the upper back on both sides. These veins on the back are not visible as there is thick subcutaneous fat present in the area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: What are the side effect of tattoo needle for veins and heart? 10 hours later
Last question. Had I touched a vein with the needles. What kind of bleeding would have happened. Would it have been easily identifyable that a vein had been pricked? Consider that I was using a 15 mag (two rows of needles one on top of the other bottom has 8 needles and the top 7) that each individual needle has a gauge of .35mm and that the 15 needles are going at a speed of 110 hits per second ( meaning that the full stroke of about 2-3 millimeter (how much the needles stick out) goes fully out and back in 110 times per second.
The venous bleeding is not a heavy bleeding. It is a normal bleeding and can be stopped easily by compression or applying astringents.
Under the circumstances you have described, it is not possible to identify if any of the needles has punctured any superficial veins.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards