What are the side effect of inhaling dishwasher fumes?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Went into house with horrible smell. My husband opened the dishwasher to find that a piece of plastic had melted on the coil. When he opened the dishwasher he breathed in some steam with fumes. I was standing nearby but didn't breath in the steam. Should we be concerned?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Serious complications caused by dishwasher steam inhalation havent been reported. There is a possibility of having allergy reaction on these substances, but this possibility is minor. So you shouldnt be worried except you have symptoms and signs of breathing difficulties, skin rash, vision disorders, headache, nausea and vomiting.
If you experience any of these or anything unusual you should visit hospital.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Follow-up: What are the side effect of inhaling dishwasher fumes? 49 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. I currently have all windows open in the house and am using a standing fan in the kitchen with window over sink wide open to allow remaining fumes to dissipate. Melted plastic leaves a nasty smell. We will watch for the symptoms you listed. When the dishwasher coil is replaced I will rehash the dishes a few times to assure that there isn't any residue from the plastic during the drying cycle.
Again, thank you for your prompt reply.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Yes, this is good. It is good that you are concerned and care for your health.
YOu always need to be cautious but I am sure nothing serious can happen. Also be sure that there is no food or drink which has been in contact with it...