What are the side affects of celery seeds and can they cause stiffness in joints?

what are the side affects of celery seeds and can they cause stiffness in joints? 8 years ago I had a slight heart attack mainly due to shock and trauma because of the death of my 11year grandson and the way it happened. My choestrol is a little high but is kept down by tablets. I'm taking daily, an asprin,half a metoprolol(50mg) and atorvastatin10mg
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Natural and Home Remedies
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
It is thought that the chemicals in celery act to cause sleepiness, increase urine to decrease fluid retention, decrease arthritis symptoms, decrease blood pressure, decrease blood sugar, decrease blood clotting, and muscle relaxation.
 Celery is safe in food amounts and seems to be safe for most people in medicinal amounts.
So the use of celery seeds doesn't cause any joint stiffness rather it helps in decreasing arthritis symptoms.
Side effects of celery seeds
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Celery oil and celery seeds are LIKELY UNSAFE when used during pregnancy. Large amounts of celery might make the uterus contract and cause a miscarriage.  It’s best to avoid celery in medicinal amounts if you are pregnant or nursing.

Allergies: Celery can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to certain other plants and spices including wild carrot, mugwort, birch, and dandelion. 

Kidney problems: Don’t use celery in medicinal amounts if you have kidney problems. Celery might cause inflammation.

Surgery: Celery can affect the central nervous system. There is some concern that celery, in combination with anesthesia and other medications used during and after surgery might slow down the central nervous system too much. Stop using celery at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Blood-thinning medications (anticoagulants) -- Celery seed contains chemicals that may thin the blood. That could make the effects of these medications stronger, raising the risk of bleeding. Blood-thinners include aspirin, warfarin (Coumadin), and clopidogrel (Plavix).
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: What are the side affects of celery seeds and can they cause stiffness in joints? 46 minutes later
Thank you for the information on celery seeds. You mention the use of blood thinners but as I am on 1- 75mg asprin a day, what would you suggest would be the best amount to put on my cereal in the morning. Would a level teaspoonful a day be too much?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
You are definitely advised to use less celery as you are using 75 mg aspirin but a teaspoonful wil not be too much for you and hence you can take it.