What are the risks of using a new oral thermometer without sanitization?

I bought a digital themonator to take my temperature I put it my mouth before sanatizing or putting Alchol on it what can happen
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: No serious adverse events expected... Detailed Answer: Hi, I don't expect you to have any serious problems if you haven't sanitized / sterilized this instrument before using. Your mouth has enough defence system in place to protect you from illness and complications. So don't be concerned. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other information. Regards
Follow-up: What are the risks of using a new oral thermometer without sanitization? 1 hour later
But the instructions said sanatize or alchol before use I did not see that part
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: To keep it clean and at sterile... Detailed Answer: It's routine maintenance process to sanitize the instrument before and after use. But as I said earlier human mouth secretions have enough defensive properties to protect against simple infection arising from non sterilisation. Like what type of infections though god for bit if not cleaned bedfore use
Answered by Dr. Prasad 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Predominantly gram positive cocci... Detailed Answer: Hi, Infections from unsterilised first use of thermometer are extremely remote that no serious infections were documented. But repeated use in unsterilised conditions especially if this instrument is used by many can slightly increase chance of gram positive cocci such as strains of streptococci and staphylococci. Other organism which can be transmitted are some strains of neisseria, fusobacter, corynebacterium, prevotella, and so on. However all these strains are less virusive than other strains of the same group of organism. In simple terms, I don't see any cause of concern. Hope this helped.