What are the risks of lasik eye corrective surgery?

I want to talk to a ophthalmologist with referencer to lasik eye corrective surgery. What criteria are required and what are the risks of the same. What kind of surge are available (lasik or something else too or are there diff kinds of lasik, long term effect etc) My power has been stable for last 15 years or so and i am a healthy female of 34 years with family history of week eye XXXXXXX Below is my eye prescription: RE: -3.50DS/-1.50DC x 180 LE: -2.50DS/-1.25DC x 180
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: I have provided the detailed information below. Detailed Answer: Hello, welcome to health care magic. I am Dr Dadapeer an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. LASIK means laser assisted correction of refractive errors by altering the curvature of cornea by using laser. Coming to your fist question the criteria required to undergo LASIK are Presence of stable refraction for more than 1 year. Age more than 21 years. You fullfill both of them. Coming to your second question the risks of surgery. The risks are minimal with the recent techniques, hence no need to worry much regarding them. The main risks are dryness of eyes following surgery and residual refractive error. Both these can be avoided by proper evaluation before surgery. Coming to your third question, types of surgeries LASIK is one of the common and basic refractive laser surgery, other recent and much better surgeries are Customized LASIK and Intralase LASIK. These two surgeries are much better than LASIK. LASIK can correct up to 10 dioptres of refractive error and yours being much less can be easily corrected. Since you are aged more than 21 years and having stable refraction you can undergo the surgery. You are required to have basic investigations required before surgery like corneal topography to look for thickness of cornea a d other which will be done by the refractive surgeon. Hence I advice you to consult refractive surgeon for further evaluation. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you.