What are the risks of having cancer when father died of stomach cancer?

My father suffered from stomach cancer and he passed away last year in October within 4 months of diagnosis. 1. I need to know if cancers could be hereditary and if yes then what are the direct risk factors. 2. Is there any medical processes/tests to find out if my genes may have cancer cells.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is unlikely to be hereditary Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for your query. I assume that you do not have any other close family members affected with cancer. In that case, having gastric cancer in your father does not increase your risks by any great extent. There is no such genetic test available also. But anybody can have cancer. What you can do is get in touch with your physician so that general checkup and some special tests like endoscopies may be done time to time to facilitate early detection, if at all you develop some problem later. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.