What are the risks of having HIV after unprotected intercourse?

Hi - I had a risky encounter 3 months ago and am scared I might have contracted HIV - I have no reason to believe the woman is infected but the condom broke so there was contact. I had a full blood panel and everything was normal except my lymphocytes were slightly low (19.5%). I've been under extreme emotional stress over this to the point where I have been out of work for weeks. I just got the HIV test but need to wait two days for results and am going insane - Please help!
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for writing in.

I can understand that you are going through a very stressful time. You have also mentioned that you have been extremely worried about the slightly low differential lymphocyte count of 19.5%.

Now, firstly, let me first explain to you that it is common to have mild variations in the differential count and this does not necessarily mean that you have a major abnormality. Secondly, a differential lymphocyte count is no way corelated to or indicative of a HIV infection. So, you don't need to worry about the slightly differential lymphocyte count.

I appreciate your courage to get a HIV testing done. It is the best way to clear your doubts regarding your risky encounter and you have taken the right step. So, please stay calm and wait for the results. Many voluntary HIV testing centres have a counsellor who can give you pre- and post-test counselling and clarify your doubts. So, if you are finding it difficult to manage the anxiety and fear, please seek the help of a counsellor.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist