What are the risks of getting cancer from a one-time CT brain scan?

What are the cancer risks from a one time CT brain scan? I've heard and read articles about CT scan risks for cancer. I had a CT brain scan back in April. That was the first and only CT brain scan that I received. Please advised.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 49 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more thins which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) What was your health Issue?
2.) Have you experienced any health issue episodes after the scan?

I would like to make it clear to you that although the incidence of cancer has risen in recent years the risk of developing cancer from a computed tomography (CT) scan is lower than what was previously thought but still the Doctors have to monitor the use of such Scans and keep track of the consequences since the incidence of cancer from ionizing CT scan radiations if between 0.02 to 0.04%.

This finding doesn't mean that you should be afraid of getting a CT scan done if there is a Genuine reason for it to be done which becomes necessary to arrive at a accurate diagnosis for better healthcare delivery.

Studies are still under progress, to know how to reduce the amount of radiation from 10 to 100 fold and I am sure we will achieve this target.

We can assure you that the cancer risk with imaging tests is not that bad as presumed.

I hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Wish you Good Health.

All the Best.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: What are the risks of getting cancer from a one-time CT brain scan? 9 hours later
Thanks for the quick respond. I was having head pressure, headaches, and feeling nausea for almost a month. The CT Scan was just to make sure that there was nothing else going on. However, the results came back normal. My symptoms also went away. My doctor say it could be due to stress. Other than that, I am healthy.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 12 hours later

Thank you for Writing back to me.

There seems to be nothing serious in your case. Get a Opinion from a ENT specialist. You can just follow the Prescription order if any given by your Doctor, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.