What are the risks of contracting HIV from saliva?

As I was speaking with a neighbor of mine on the street 2 days ago a minuscule particle of his saliva, and I mean extremely small, went into my eye, it was barely perceptible. Because I have an inordinate fear of HIV I began to worry. I realize that saliva alone cannot transmit HIV and I read online that even if a very small amount of blood was mixed with the very small amount of saliva involved there still would be no risk of HIV transmission because there has to be a "significant" amount of blood to cause a risk factor and this incident does not indicate any amount of blood to be considered "significant''. I did not observe any evidence of any blood at all in the part of his mouth and lips that I could see. Would you agree with this assessment and am I over reacting to a non risk factor.
I realize this fear of HIV is a problem for me and I am trying psych help, meditation and OCD group to combat it but is very difficult. If you are able to agree with my assessment above it would help me tremendously at least in the short term. Thank you. sonarman65@ WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

I would agree with your assessment .

You have nil or zero % risk of HIV with this incident.

Saliva has some naturally occurring proteins which inhibit HIV viral replication.

Even if the saliva was mixed with blood it is not a RISK exposure.

In the end I would like to reassure you that you have NO RISK whatsoever with this kind of exposure.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: What are the risks of contracting HIV from saliva? 1 hour later
Thank you doctor for your concise, comprehensive and patient friendly answer.
Needless to say it was the answer I was hoping for. It has given me great relief.
My selectively germophobic (HIV) condition has been a tough thing with which to
deal. I hope with time and effort on my part I will overcome.
I have no need for a follow up question. You have covered everything.
Thank you very much. I will pray for you and yours. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 hours later

You will certainly overcome your phobia.

Just know the basic facts about HIV transmission.

It is not transmitted via tears ,saliva, casual contact, sharing of articles.

If you have liked my answer please indicate it by rating my answer in the end.

Best of luck.

Dr Sudarshan