What are the risks of a failed kidney?

After battling kidney stones and pains on my right side it was told to me by result of ultrasound and ct that my left kidney is shrunken, damaged and has a large stone. They are presently unsure of the function of the left kidney if any as the right kidney is 2 inches bigger than normal and doing the work of both kidneys. They were both noted to be oddly pink coloured. I have factor v leiden. Whats my risk if the left kidney is failing or has failed? Im 26. Please refer to previous question for detailed info about my medical history
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can live with one kidney Detailed Answer: Dear xxxx Thanks for the query. As your doctors have pointed out, the right kidney has hypertrophied and increased in size to keep up with the function of both. Fortunately, we are paired organisms and many people lead entirely normal lives with only one kidney. As a matter of fact, that is the state that you are left with when you donate a kidney. That being said, you have a statistically increased chance of developing kidney failure since you have only one functional kidney, and if it is gone, then you would likely need renal replacement therapy. Keep well hydrated, avoid NSAIDs, avoid medications that can be toxic to kidneys in general and make sure to limit exposure to contrast for medical tests. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: What are the risks of a failed kidney? 1 hour later
How does the blood clotting disorder play into the kidney situation?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Important to consider Detailed Answer: Great question... If you have full Factor Leyden mutation, not only carrier, then this puts you at increased risk of clotting, and this includes arterial clots that could embolize and damage the kidney... So, if a full Leyden, then discussions about the benefits and risks of anticoagulation should be held with your primary doctor, or even a hematologist subspecialist. Best regards