What are the risks involved in surgery for nodule in throat? Throat pain, thyroid problem

Dear sir,

i visited you last year for my mother's thyroid problem, she has got small nodule in her throat. you had suggested to go for medicine. she is getting minor pain in throat, she visited the doctor in BHU, they are suggesting to go for surgery, could you please let me know the risks involved in surgery? if i should call her to bangalore for same.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Small asymptomatic thyroid nodules are usually treated with medicines. But if the nodule is changing in size or is painful then surgical treatment is advised after doing the related blood tests.
Since the surgery is done under general anaesthesia, the risk involved is comparatively on a higher side. Both the risks related to anaesthesia and due to surgery are there. The exact estimate of risk can be done only after a physical examination and related pre anaesthetic investigations.
The success of surgery depends on the expertise of the surgeon. If you feel that the surgeon under whom your mother is getting treatment is not proficient enough then you may arrange to have the procedure done at Bangalore.
You may also consider taking a second opinion from another neck and thyroid surgeon at Varanasi.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: What are the risks involved in surgery for nodule in throat? Throat pain, thyroid problem 1 hour later
Hi Ma'am,

thanks for reply. i was reading on net about ethanol injection in the nodule, laser treatment. could you please comment about same? which one would be better.

thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Both the treatments are possible but before that we must know about the type of nodule she has after appropriate tests. A thyroid surgeon can enlighten you regarding the possibilities after a detailed examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.