What are the risk of HIV with oral sex?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I tested positive for mono with a monospot test seven months ago. For the past five months, I have had multiple apthous ulcers at a time, and there have been only a few days over the past five months that I have been ulcer free. They seem to take longer to heal, and have been much more frequent. Due to the ulcers, I have been worried about the possibility of HIV. I have given and received oral sex over the past two years with three women, but nothing else. Three oraquick oral swab tests at 3 5 and 7months were negative. Should I be worried about the accuracy of these tests or about not having produced antibodies for HIV? If not, could mono be causing my ulcers? Please help me straighten this out!
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Aphthous common for anybody. HIV free Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. HIV risk is very low with oral sex. HIV oraquick negative repeatedly after 3 months ruled out the possibility of HIV . More than one test negative is almost 100% reliable. Aphthous ulcers can occur to anybody without HIV. Mononucleosis also might not have been responsible. It is just a coincidence that aphthous and Mono present together. Kindly follow the guidance of your treating physician. and forget about the possibility of HIV. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: What are the risk of HIV with oral sex? 4 minutes later
These ulcers and very frequent, at least 2-3 every two weeks. It seems a large coincidence this occurred along with mono. I read online monospot can be falsely positive due to HIV and ulcers commonly occur with hiv. Could my monospot have Benn false positive due to HIV? Why are my ulcers more frequent?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: 3 negative HIV tests ruled out possibility of HIV Detailed Answer: Hi' Welcome to XXXXXXX With the three negative HIV Oraquick test it is quite unlikely to have HIV. You can go for Western Blot test to get a still confirmed HIV status. Regarding recurrent oral ulcers there are many reasons including aphthous ulcers, poor oral Hygiene, sharp dentures, Vitamin deficiency,Betchet's disease, Herpetic sores etc. Certain people are predisposed to have recurrent Aphthous ulcers for some unknown reason. Very rarely mononucleosis also oral ulcers can occur as a feature. Biopsy may clinch the diagnosis at times. Consult a oral surgeon also for more help. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: What are the risk of HIV with oral sex? 7 hours later
Could monospot test have been false positive due to hiv? Are oral fluid hiv tests accurate? Do all people have antibodies in oral fluid after a year or two?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer: False positive monospot can occur with HIV. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. False positive monospot test can occur with HIV. Oraquick test has a specificity above 98%. But repeated test increases specificity up to 99.98%. If a person has HIV infection, then oral antibodies present till a very late stage of HIV Disease. (Persist for more than 20 years). Dr S.Murugan