What are the risk involved when undergoing colonoscopy?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am scheduled for a colonostopy this coming week and I am very nervous about this. The number 1 thing is I don't like the idea of being put to sleep. I am told this is a twilight sleep but still don't like the sound of it. Could you please explain and tell me if there are any risks and what they are.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. There is no need to get nervous about sedation. This type of sedation is called conscious sedation. It is a very safe procedure. You will not be put to deep sedation. It is only that you will not experience the unpleasant feeling of the colonoscopy procedure. The sedation will be only for a short period of time. You will recover faster. The only risk is when excess medication is given, there may be a issues with breathing and there may be a drop in the oxygen saturation. But this hardly occurs as you would be continuously monitored from the beginning with pulse oximetry and electrocardiography. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What are the risk involved when undergoing colonoscopy? 52 minutes later
In the last few days I have taken an in home test to detect hidden blood in stool and the test has come back positive. Should I see my primary doctor about this or should I just wait for the colonostopy. I cannot not see any blood the test is showing a positive result

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Positive stool occult blood test and 50 years of age, I would advise you to straightaway go for colonoscopy which is scheduled for next week instead of seeing your primary doctor. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini