What are the red lumps on my penis?

Question
Hi, i have an itchy rash of some kind on my feet and ankles, it began around 2 weeks ago, around the same time the tip of my penis (circumcised) began to itch then a week ago i noticed some small red lumps on the penis head, only on one side, very small almost like tiny 1mm blisters around 15 in total. Please help, XXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Eczema Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Rashes shown in the picture are suggestive of allergic eczema. But what you are mentioning on penis after a week of primary lesion is not eczema and is suggestive of herpes. If you can send picture of later, i can help you with that too. Now for your lesion on leg which is eczema, you can apply topical corticosteroid like beclomethasone. Continue with benadryl for itch. If the lesion on penis came out to be Herpes genitalis then antiviral like acyclovir can be added. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: What are the red lumps on my penis? 16 minutes later
Hi, thanks, i uploaded pictures earlier, do you have them? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: same pictures Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. Yes, i have got 4 pictures but all of them are same and are of eczema on leg. I need picture of lesion on penis as you mentioned lesion over it different from on leg. Can assist you further if i can have them. Regards Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Follow-up: What are the red lumps on my penis? 18 minutes later
Hi, just uploaded, Thanks

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Herpes Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up with picture. Lesion is more likely to be genital herpes. It will go away in a week time without treatment or antiviral medicine like acyclovir can be taken for quicker recovery. Maintain proper hygiene of the area and avoid contact. Hope i have answered your query. You may close the discussion if you don't have further query.

Follow-up: What are the red lumps on my penis? 6 minutes later
Hi, so will i have passed this on to my girlfriend? Is it highly contagious?

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. Herpes is highly contagious and it can easily pass to your partner if there is history of contact. Regards

Follow-up: What are the red lumps on my penis? 27 hours later
Hi, i went to the doctor as i was worried and surprised about the herpes!!! Anyway it isn't herpes, its scabies! Did you not consider this?

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: considered it for leg lesions Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow-up again. I am glad that you followed Disclaimer and consulted dermatologist for clinical examination. As he has confirmed it to be scabies, which can be done by closely looking at the burrows caused by the mite. Yes, I did consider scabies for you ankle and feet but you have mentioned that on penis it is only on side. Points for ruling out scabies were: Most common site is crevices of palm and sole and web of the finger and slowly progressing to all part of body leaving face. In genital it covers penis and scrotum and is unusual to be on single side of penis. Itching usually aggravates at night. Linear pattern of burrows caused by mite is seen on close examination. Since your doctor has confirmed it as Scabies (diagnosis can made only by clinical examination), stick on it and take treatment as advised. It is also highly contagious and you and your partner should have a single dose of Ivermectin. Hope i have answered your query. You may close the discussion if you don't have further query.