What are the reasons for the falling hgb level?

I have in the last year my hgb dropped to 7.8 and after two pints of blood return to 14.4 and now its dropping a one point every two months. I have several Doctors and we donot have a reason.
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There are several reasons for the falling Hb – Iron deficiency from occult bleeding (commonly Gastro Intestinal tract) is the most common. There are others like deficiency of B-12, Folic acid / marrow suppression and so on...

One pint of blood could only raise the level by one gram.

The ideal person to approach will be a HAEMATOLOGIST.
You will need a battery of tests – to find out the nature of anaemia first - simple from blood smear, stool analysis for worms and occult blood to complex like Haemoglobin electrophoresis and marrow biopsy.
Then the cause of it.
You should not neglect or delay at this age.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck