What are the reasons for temporary discoloration of finger skin?

have experienced temporary discoloration of ring finger and little finger of right hand
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Could you please send in the photo of your fingers Detailed Answer: Hi, Before running into conclusions, I'd kindly ask to send a photo of your current skin problems! That could greatly help me assist you further! The reasons for temporary discoloration of finger skin could be: - fungal infection - eczema (precipitated by the harsh or drying soaps) - vitiligo - psoriasis - any drug you are currently taking locally or systematically I'd advise to change soaps to hypoallergic and parfumed-free soap or shampoo. If no improvement, should consult dermatologist to start proper treatment. Looking forward to kindly have the requested photos in! Thank you! Dr.Alba
Follow-up: What are the reasons for temporary discoloration of finger skin? 19 hours later
this is not a skin condition. My fingers turned blue for about 1 minute, then returned to normal. This has happened twice in the last 3 months. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Bluish fingers-possible Raynaud's phenomenon... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. You are reporting to have your fingers turned blue, then, returned to normal. It could be related to Raynaud's phenomenon due to spasms of local blood vessels. This is a common phenomenon especially when your fingers are being exposed to cold temperatures and more often happening in older people. Another reasons could be: - anemia - heart disease - local blood clots - medications you are taking If this discoloration happened only twice in the last 3 months, and if it is cold where you live, to my judgement it could be because of cold-exposure unless you have history of heart disease or other blood disorders. Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Alba