What are the reasons for fainting attacks?

ENT Specialist
Hi. I'm 28 years old, female and I'm about 145 pounds. For the past few months I have been feeling like I'm going to faint, even when I'm sitting, but I never do. Also, I work in front of a computer for 9 hours a day and the lights in my office are so bright they bother my eyes. The fainting feeling seems to happen more when I'm under bright lights, but also happens other times. When I feel like I'm going to faint, I start to panic which makes it worse. My dental health is not great, so I'm not sure if that could be causing this. I also have a few (2 or 3) drinks most nights after work.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

There are many reasons of the fainting attacks, (but in your case, you have not yet encountered) first I will enumerate all, then I will come to a probability.

1- Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency.
2- Eye sight problem.
3- XXXXXXX of Migraine attack.
4- Mental fatigue.

But in your case the most probable cause is the mental fatigue. As you have stated that your oral hygiene is not up to the XXXXXXX I will like to clear that, there is absolutely no correlation between the two.

What you will have to do now? As you have stated that you have symptoms after exposure to bright light, then try to avoid such bright light. Check the ergonomics while working infront of a computer, know where to place the light.

Please follow these advices--

1- Use photochromatic lenses.
2- Always use a shading screen over your computer monitor.
3- Take plenty of fluids, to avoid dehydration.
4- Take vitamin and mineral supplements.
5- Take a course of deworming drug under consultation of your physician.
6- Consult an optometrist, and check your eye sight.
7- Avoid hard drinks.
8- Do not work continuously for hours, the maximum concenteration time in one go is 45 minutes, so after this time, give yourself a break of atleast 5 minutes.
9- Make Aerobic exercises a regularity in the morning works.
10- Take sound sleep of atleast 5-6 hours daily.
11- In extreme cases you may take some anxiolytic.

Relax, nothing to panic. It is not life threatening. You require relaxing methods.

Hope this will help you.