What are the reason for mole growth on skin?

Jun 2015

Reason for Moles
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 8 hours later

Moles are growth in the skin which are composed of clusters of pigment-producing cells (melanocytes). Though the presence of moles is determined genetically, they can also develop due to exposure of skin to UV rays.

However, appearance of a new or abnormal mole in an adult may be a sign of malignant melanoma.
In your post, you have not mentioned about the characteristics of the moles.

Kindly let me know about the following things:

1. Distribution of the moles- whether they are presently diffusely in the body or limited to any particular area?
2. Appearance of the moles- whether there is any recent change in size or color of the moles?
3. Presence of any associated symptoms- such as itching, pain, bleeding ?
4. Any other significant characteristic feature ?

Also, there are many other skin growths/lesions which look like mole such as freckles, lentigines, hemangiomas, pigmented basal cell cancers, etc.

Investigations such as a skin biopsy would be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.
So, it will be better to consult a Dermatologist & get a proper physical examination done to rule out the other causes.

If possible, please upload a picture of the moles.
It will be helpful for me to give a better probable diagnosis.

Wishing you a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: What are the reason for mole growth on skin? 43 hours later
Hello Dr,

I haven't come across any such of the characters nor faced any kind of irritation

Just a mole in my palm and my lower lips are the recent ones
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query.

Presence of a few moles here & there without any symptom can be considered harmless.
Just note if there is any change in size or color of these moles and also appearance of any new mole in the body.
And if you notice any such change, then it will be better to consult a Dermatologist & get a biopsy done.

Otherwise...there is no need to worry.
They are very normal.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a Good Health.
Thanks & take care.