What are the present blood pressure limitations for high blood pressure?

What are the present blood pressure limitations for high blood pressure
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below Detailed Answer: Dear Sir. Thanks for sharing with us. Current Joint National Committee 8 guidelines recently released suggest us that general population aged ≥60 years should treated by medicines to lower blood pressure (BP) at systolic blood pressure (SBP) ≥150 mm Hg or diastolic blood pressure (DBP) ≥90 mm Hg and treat to a goal SBP <150 mm Hg and goal DBP. I have shared with you this part of guideline beacuse you are > 60 years of age. In general , if you are a hypertensive , you should get following baseline investigations: 1. Kidney function test 2. Ecg 3. Xray Chest 4. Lipid profile 5. Urine for albumin. 6. Fundus (eye examination) for retinopathy. If you blood pressure is <150 / 80 mmgHg without medications , you require low salt diet , low fat diet , regular exercise. If it is more you require pharmacological treatment. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me.