What are the possible treatments for epithelial ovarian cancer?

how would you explain in writing to a black woman in her late 30s that she has ovarian cancer and what the treatments would be; its aggressive epithelial ovarian cancer?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Most common , generally have good outcomes Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I assume that it is already a stage III or IV cancer as you describe. If its the case, its of course aggressive and the outcome is not very good in this case. I understand it can be challenging explaining this to a young lady. However, it might be very necessary. However, there are other factors that should be taken into consideration before talking about the outcome. The age, in this 30, is not bad as an outcome factor. The general quality of life score, tumor size, and whether other structures are touched are all important. Depending on the stage, treatment could involve extensive debunking (removal or part of the tumor) followed by drugs (chemotherapy), when well done is associated with positive outcomes. Epithelial ovarian cancer is histologically determined to be of low malignant potential in 15 percent of patients, is often diagnosed at stage I, and has a 95 to 99 percent 10-year survival rate. Its certain that if it is very far from stage I (say III or IV), the prognosis will not be is excellent. It is important to tell the patient that this is a very common tumor especially amongst females, and one of the most treatable with good outcomes. The results might not be very spectacular in advanced disease, but generally good. Thanks and kind regards as I hope this helps. Feel free asking follow up opinions in case of need. I will be glad making my humble contribution. Kind regards. DR Bain