What are the possible treatment for prostatic cancer?

As we have just received the report of my father, I wish to know the stage of the cancer and the best course of treatment thereof - (also is it curable?). We live in Bangalore, India if any place here particularly you recommend for the treatment too.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be a candidate for observation

Detailed Answer:
Your dad has got prostatic cancer, which is quite low grade (less aggressive). We need a few more tests to ascertain the stage, like information on clinical rectal examination (as seen by urologist), serum PSA level and MRI of the prostate +/- bone scan. If PSA is not too high and the disease appears localized to the prostate, he may be just observed time to time rather than active treatment. Given his multiple comorbidities (other illnesses), chances are there that the prostate cancer will not cause problems in his lifetime. Hence why to treat unnecessarily.

If otherwise, disease locally advanced or spread outside, or symptomatic patient we may need to treat with hormone injections and/or radiation. Surgery is best avoided in him considering the other illnesses. For more info, please go through WWW.WWWW.WW
In Bangalore, you may get him treated at Manipal hospital cancer center.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: What are the possible treatment for prostatic cancer? 31 hours later
Thank you doc.

As a treatment option, I hear castration (or cutting the testis tube to the prostate) and some medications would help too. Is that good enough? Or additional radiation would be required? Also, he is running very high temperature today. Any reason why? He is on catheter as post biopsy he went into tremendous bleeding for more than a week and was kept under observation but came out with incessant urine bouts and constipation. Although today it's been a week since his discharge after observation and had loose motions and fever about 103. What do you suggest for him? He's been suffering a lot. He has also simultaneously recovered from pneumonia.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for followup.

If he requires treatment, then options are hormonal therapy (either by removing testes or by injections every 3 months) and/or RT. What will suit him best can only be judged by his attending physician.

Fever and loose motions may be because of infection. Please contact his physician for any need of antibiotics. If there is infection, then treatment should not be delayed.