What are the possible side effect of consuming i-pill?

what are the possible side effect of consuming i-pill? My wife has already taken three of this since August 2012 till date. Although I am against of using it....But as things have been done..I want to know will there be any problem in conceiving for the use of it in future? As i am newly married.... i am concern of it..Do let me know.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The short term side effects of emergency contraceptive pill are,
-they can cause menstrual irregularities like,
if taken in the first half of cycle they can prepone the menstruation, if taken in the second half they can postpone the menstruation.
They can lead to spotting, brownish discharge etc in between periods,
-nausea, vomiting, fluid retention, bloating sensation of the abdomen, breast tenderness, headache, sinus congestion etc symptoms can occur.
-less effective than regular pills with around 13% of failure rate,
-will not protect against sexually transmitted diseases,

Long term side effects:
-Because of repeated usage of pill the pattern of ovulation can change, it may become delayed or gets inhibited which will cause problem in getting pregnant for some months.
-repeated usage will decrease the effectiveness of the pill,
-it can affect the growth of endometrium leading to altered menstruation that can lead to amenorrhea or polymenorrhea,
-if used frequently with less than two months interval, that can lead to arrest of growth of ovum leading to formation of cysts that may lead to poly cystic ovarian disease sometimes according to few studies.
If now your wife is having normal regular periods then there is nothing to worry. Avoid using these in future.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: What are the possible side effect of consuming i-pill? 33 minutes later

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the repeated use of this is not good. And I believe i will avoid using it in future.

But just to tell you the whole thing, she first used it in August, 2012 and then she used it in Dec 2012 and in April 2013 is the month when she used it for the third time. And she is having regular period in between these time.... But I want to know what kind of harm those pills might have caused already....and will it create any impact in the process of having baby in future?

I am bit concerned regarding this... Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since she had regular periods in between and she did not use the pill repeatedly in a single cycle, it is not likely to affect her future fertility or chances of conception in any way. Please do not worry.
Just to be very sure she can get an ultrasound scan done to rule out any polycystic ovaries.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: What are the possible side effect of consuming i-pill? 14 minutes later

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. But is it really necessary to do the ultrasound in my case?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
Ultrasound is only needed to ease your anxiety. Any problem is not likely. You can avoid it also.