What are the possible reasons for tingling and numbness in my left arm?

Hi This question is from a 45 yr old male. I have been feeling slight tingling/numbness in my left arm for the last 20 days. What could be the possible reasons.? Is there something serious that I should be worried about?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: differentials discussed, suggested tests Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to our site I am Dr Saumya Mittal Read your query That is a very significant question And I appreciate your problem I will try my best to answer your query I think there may be a couple of reasons why you may have developed this condition One possibility is that you have been having some cervical spondylitis like conditions What happens is that the nerves get compressed in the neck and this causes trouble. An alternative possibility is that you are developing neuropathy Due to the possibility of endless causes Most commonly hypothyroidism, diabetes, drug induced As the details of these history are not available I would request further history there And suggest having thyroid functions, sugars and vitamin B12 levels tested. A third but faint possibility is that you may have developed some brain lesion Whereby you are developing sensory monoparesis However as I said, the possibility is faint and distant. A fourth possibility is that you are starting to develop some cardiac symptoms In that case a dobutamine stress echo should help Again I don't have any history provided as to whether you have hypertension Or what medicines you are on. A last possibility I would like to consider is severe gastritis and oesophageal reflux Where the acid produced in the stomach Causes chest pain or left arm symptoms However since the condition is not life threatening usually We can probably wait for previous reports And you can probably consult your local doctor and get his opinion on starting proton pump inhibitors. I hope this helps you Inform the reports mentioned above So I can be of help further. Best of luck.