What are the possible reasons for having pain in right side of head?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
My mother in law is 66 years old. Off late, she is complaining about a sharp pain on the right hand side of her head. I am attaching a diagram with the area of pain drawn. She feels that the pain comes as a spark and is not continuous ache. She feels pain if the area is pressed too. She is having this pain mainly in the evenings from the past 3-4 days. She is visiting Hyderabad for a week and we are not sure which specialist to visit. Based on the description above, can you suggest possible reason? Alternatively, can you suggest which specialist should we visit. Will it be better if she sees the doctor only after going back to her home town as it will be easier to take tests and all. Please suggest.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: The pst likely cause is trigeminal neuralgia Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Based on the description, the most likely cause of her symptoms could be trigeminal neuralgia. However, it would be clearer after she gets examined by a doctor. Your diagram has not got uploaded yet, may be you can re-upload it. She should consult a neurologist when she comes to Hyderabad. One week is sufficient to do all the tests and start her treatment. If you wish, I would be pleased to see her. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What are the possible reasons for having pain in right side of head? 10 hours later
Hello Doctor, thanks for your reply. I am attaching the diagram again for your reference.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back Detailed Answer: Thank you for sending the diagram. In addition to trigeminal neuralgia, other condition to consider would be temporal arteritis. This can also cause headaches in the area described by you, especially in people above the age of 50. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What are the possible reasons for having pain in right side of head? 1 hour later
Helllo, thank you. Please could you let me know what is the day and time you are available in the Apollo. Is it the Jubilee Hills?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, It is Jubilee Hills. Detailed Answer: It is daily between 11.30 am to 5 pm. You may call 040-0000, extension 6634/3011 to fix the appointment. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)