What are the possible reason of muscle weakness?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Sometimes my arms and legs suddenly get very heavy and weak and I need to sit down. This usually passed within a minute or two and only happens once in a great while. I know that cannot be normal. Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Many possible causes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
There are many possible causes of intermittent muscle weakness and it would be wrong to make a diagnosis without any investigations. I would suggest you need to see your doctor for an examination and tests. Initial blood tests may identify the problem. However, you may need more detailed tests such as nerve conduction studies or scans. The cause may be metabolic, endocrine, neurological or muscular.
If you have any further information, I will review it if you wish.
I hope this is of help.
Dr K A Pottinger,