What are the possible complication in tonsillectomy?

Excellent
Question
I am doing a question for school and I am to explain why a tonsillectomy in a child is less likely to involve complications than the same procedure in an adult. I find a lot of the complications are the same but nothing to relate to the question.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us,

In adults the blood vessels supplying the tonsils are larger than in children, which means more bleeding occurs post tonsillectomy in case of adults. Besides that, adult patients may have pre-existing medical conditions like diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, renal disease, etc., which can delay the healing process and recovery of the patient by manifold.

In chronic tonsillitis, tonsils undergo severe fibrosis and adhere to its capsule tightly which makes dissection difficult, causing more post operative pain and scarring.

Therefore in all means, tonsillectomy is less riskier in children when compared to adults.

I hope this answer was useful. Kindly write back if you have further queries,

Good luck!