What are the possible causes of frequent indigestion ?

I have had dihorrea for the past week and it has been undigested food. Then i vomited severly on Friday morning, totally whole food from 19 hours previously. It appears my digestive system is not working, this is not the first time it has happened and leaves me in a lot of pain, very tired and naseous. I am still very naseous this morning and would like to know what I can do to clear this up. Is there a medicine that helps the digestive system to work and what are probable causes? As i mentioned, this reoccurs every couple of months.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

Your problem seems to be due to excessive distension of intestines causing sluggish peristalsis which then leads to vomiting out of all the stagnant food.
Having diarrhea may be a part of IBS or may be due to intestinal infection as a result of unhygienic or stale food consumption.

For relief -
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc. The BRAT diet (i.e, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be taken.
2. Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3. Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine, alcohol, etc.

If the symptoms are not relieved, medical treatment might be needed after proper examination. Medicines such as loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) can help relieve symptoms but should be taken under medical supervision.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What are the possible causes of frequent indigestion ? 39 minutes later
Thank you for your advice, I would like to know, as this seems to be a reoccuring problem, if there is a medicine that will help my stomach to digest food, not just relieve the symptoms as clearly I have a problem with the speed of my digestive system.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

To avoid the recurrence, dietary modifications play a major role. Avoid taking too much of fiber in your diet like beans, broccoli, etc.

Digestive enzymes and prokinetic drugs like metclopramide can help in a long term relief.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.