What are the possible causes for small bumps in lower region of vagina?

Hi, A few years ago I noticed a small raised bump in the lower region of my vagina opening closer to my leg. A year or so after that I noticed three small on the inside lip of the right side of my vagina. As the years have passed they have grown in size and new ones have formed so that they have merged. Premenstrual time is the worst because they are painful and extremely itchy and they get enlarged. I have gotten many paps because I always have irregular cultures (since I was 18). They always come back irregular but they don't know why. I have been sent to an OBGYN/GYNO and he said it's nothing to worry about but the pain and inflammation is starting to get to me in the past two months. I last saw him in September and if I call tomorrow, I probably won't get in for another two months at least. I might just go see my family doctor because I think more are starting. Is it XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: HSV, HPV or cancer Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear about the presentation that you are experiencing as I can understand how this can be really restricting and frustrating. I shall try my best to provide you with as much information as you need, and help guide you to better health. First of all ma'am, I would have to start by saying that such a presentation can only match three conditions that come to my mind: -Herpes simplex virus (HSV) -Human papillomavirus (HPV) -Cancer resulting from HPV A pap smear should have reported an abnormal result if either of the last two conditions mentioned were to be present. As for the herpes, I would recommend a blood test to check for HSV antibodies. I am afraid we will have to consider getting you diagnosed to be urgent, as being a doctor, I would personally like to rule out the more serious conditions and worry less. I hope I have succeeded in explaining things to you in a simple manner, and in one you best comprehend. But, please feel free to write back to me if there are any further clarifications, or if I have failed to explain anything. I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.