What are the possible causes for reduced libido in men?

my husband is too tired or he doesn't have the urge to have sex;( how can I help him?
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Brief Answer: there are different causes Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Reduced libido in men may have different causes. The most common causes are: (1) stress or anxiety (2)reduced levels of testosterone (3)side effect of medication (4) depression (5)hypothyroidism - low levels of thyroid hormone (5)hyperprolactinemia - high levels of a hormone called prolactin (6)anemia- low blood count would cause also cause fatigue (7)history of head trauma (8)increased weight- obesity can be associated with decreased energy and can also alter the testosterone levels (9)alcohol (10) diabetes and high blood pressure can cause erectile dysfunction where a man is unable to maintain an erection. This is due to alteration in the blood flow to the penis. In this case medications such as cialis, levitra or viagra can be used. Your husband is currently on candesartan and diltiazem , these are used for high blood pressure or in persons with a history of heart disease. Most high blood pressure medications are associated with a risk of sexual dysfunction, though it is low with the ones he is using the risk is still present. He can consider speaking to his doctor to find out whether it is possible that his medication is contributing to his problem. In addition, he may need blood tests to check for anemia, thyroid disease, prolactin levels and testosterone . IF any of these is abnormal, it could be the cause and if corrected his sex drive could improve. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions