Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the possible causes for red color semen during ejaculation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I had a redish color in my sperm upon ejaculation a week ago and yesterday it happened again. it was pretty red and I am assuming it was blood but I dont have any other symptoms
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Mostly it is due to without any reasons. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Red colour semen indicates blood in it but it need confirmation that blood is not in urine.Mostly it is due to without any reasons and may be related to subtle injury which is not remembered.Other causes may be prostatitis,prostate surgery,urinary tract infection or infection to testis,local injury to perineum etc.Other less common causes may be prostate or urinary bladder cancer,calculus in prostate etc.So these causes should be excluded by clinical examination and investigations. You need ultrasound of abdomen. Trans rectal ultrasound of prostate can also be done for proper assessment of prostate. Proper treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX