What are the possible causes for pain under left armpit and ribbon like stools?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
yes please , my husband is nearly 61 yrs. old, is approx. 6' 1", 230lbs. in the past week he has been worried about business issues, and since then he has had a pain in his left side, a little further down from the armpit, he has always had normal bowel movements but in the last three days he is going very little and he said it looks like shavings or ribbon, what do you think? We don't have insurance so he is reluctant to go to the doctors
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, The pain in his left side could be because of: - heart problem: I suggest to monitor his blood pressure and heart rate, blood sugar - arthritis pain I advise to: - take otc painkillers (ibuprofen,ketoprofen). If no improvement and if the blood pressure is high, should consult cardiologist and run ECG and cardiac echo and holter monitoring - apply local analgezics - apply warm clothing to the affected area. - avoid coffee, energetic drinks - have more chamomile tea - let him rest more to reduce the work-stress With regards to passing little stool, it means your husband is having constipation. To ease the current situation and prevent future constipation, I'd advise to: - drink more water - if his work requires sitting for long time; can have long walkings after work - eat foods high in fiber content - take otc fiber supplement (I usually prescribe those containing psyllium) - start taking senna supplement and lactulose to soften and ease bowel movements Hope it helped! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up! Dr.Bardha