What are the possible causes for muscle twitching in legs and soreness, nerve pain in lower back?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have weird sensations in my legs mostly, but also upper arms. I can see the muscle twitch, i have fine fluttery feelings and sometimes the muscle rolls - feels like a soft bubble pops under the skin. I have mild hypercalcemia - i had a failed parathyroid exploration in July this year - so they are investigating again. The twitching in my legs is a new symptom, however - these strange feelings are really, really worrying me. The doctors have done some blood work - checking CPK levels and CRP levels. I have ANA positive - 1:640. They say i don't have Lupus. I have an MRI of my brain done recently and it's normal. And MS has been ruled out after a Lumbar Puncture 2 years ago. I do have nerve pain in my lower back - it's sore - and also around the top of my hips/pelvis area. It feels like burning pain...i need to take Ibruprofen to help settle it down. What could be causing these strange sensations in my legs? Thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: possibility could be lumbar canal stenosis Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. First possibility could be lumbar canal stenosis leading to burning sensation and pain in your leg. Due to compression of this nerve root there can be leg pain associated with it. I will advise you to do MRI spine For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. My patients get good relief with holistic approach like pranayama, yoga, and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX You can also start them. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: What are the possible causes for muscle twitching in legs and soreness, nerve pain in lower back? 34 minutes later
Would this account for the twitches and fasiculations being experienced? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Usually twitching may be related to your hypercalc Detailed Answer: Hello Usually twitching and fasiculations may be related to your hypercalcemia, so you need to check it again. Neurological involvement also leads to twitching so after clinical examination you may need MRI brain. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What are the possible causes for muscle twitching in legs and soreness, nerve pain in lower back? 5 hours later
Ok thank you for your response. I have had an MRI scan only a few weeks ago and the result was 'normal'. I am concerned about Motor Neuron Disease because of the fasciculations/twitches. I am 33 years old and a female...should I be worried about this? Also, my ANA test is 1:640. What does this suggest? I haven't got enough criteria to be diagnosed with Lupus. I constantly have sore throats and swollen glands in my neck. Could this be Chronic Fatigue. I get neck pain and sore muscles, particularly after exercise. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 20 hours later
Brief Answer: investigate like,dsDNA, ssDNA Anti Scl-70 Anti-nR Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history and presentation there is possibility of systemic autoimmune diseases which is involving multiple parts. ANA is positive in many auto immune diseases you may need to further investigate like,dsDNA, ssDNA Anti Scl-70 Anti-nRNP may help. Sore throat and enlarged gland indicate autoimmune syndromic involvement or chronic infection. You may need to consult rheumatologist for ruling out various autoimmune diseases. Neurological involvement also leads to twitching so after clinical examination you may need MRI brain. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care