What are the possible causes for discoloration in lips?

General Surgeon
Hello :) I'm a 16 yr old african american/ asian, so my top is is a weird but cute color & shape, abd my bottom lip used to be but now... it's three different colors! My inner lip is a very very light pink :( & it's very noticeable & it's in a very shape. It's not just a spot. Anyways, I also have a black line on my bottom lip which seperates the two totally different shades of pink :( Doctors, PLEASE HELP ME! -TwoPinks
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Long labia minora is absolutely normal Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I assume by inner lip you meant Labia minora. It's absolutely normal to have long and prominent labia minora and as it's partly covered by mucosa on the inner surface it's very much pink. The black line is the junction between the skin and mucosal lining. There is absolutely no cause for concern and is a normal anatomical variant. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon
Follow-up: What are the possible causes for discoloration in lips? 10 minutes later
OH NO! I meant the lips on my face! Hehe, but yes, I am very aware of my woman parts lol. But as for the lips on my face, my bottom lip is discolored. It's a pinkish/white on the inner part of the bottom lip, it's also a weird shape. It's definetly noticeable, so I TRY to make it blend in & try to keep some of the blackness off of my lip my scrubbing with a toothbrush, & the middle portion of my bottom like is like a black line & some black shades surrounding it, & the bottom portion is my normal lip color. It's very depressing because I used to have the most kissable lips, & now... :( Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be simple hyperpigmentation of lips Detailed Answer: Hi, I am really sorry for the confusion. In Medical terms, when some one refers to inner lip etc. it would be very obvious that it is related to genitals. I am glad you took it very sportively:) Coming to your concern, please note lips are the most sensitive part on the face followed by eyelids. Hereby I would like to advice you the following: 1. Kindly stop scrubbing lips especially with hard objects like toothbrush. This will peel of the smooth lip mucosa and predisposes skin to hyperpigmentation which can worsen the situation rather than helping out. 2. Keep your lips hydrated especially with good moisturizers during indoor stay and at night. Application of simple glycerine would do wonders. Glycerine is also a natural moisturizer. 3. Please use sunscreens available for lips especially for outdoor activities. Make sure you use good quality sunscreen and perform test dose before routine application. 4. Use of hats which can cover face including lips during outdoor activities can be very helpful to prevent XXXXXXX due to sun exposure. Exposure to sun is one of the common and major cause of discoloration of lips without any obvious medical conditions. 5. As mentioned by you, use of blenders to blend the lip curves and to cover up pigmentation is a good idea. But sometimes these cosmetics does more harm than helping. I would suggest you to avoid cosmetics for few weeks, especially those cosmetics which are meant for long lasting effect. Few of my patients have had discoloration of lips after they started using long lasting lip gloss and lipsticks, which recovered after discontinuation of such cosmetics. 6. If things doesn't seem to improve despite all these measures, please get back to me for further assessment and definitive treatment. Regarding your other concern related to shape of the lip, to have a proper clinical assessment and to advice you accordingly, would request you to share the clinical picture of the lips. You may send the image by uploading it as an attachment with the help of image uploader in the website and can be sent to me as a followup query. I hope it helped. There is no need to be concerned. This is only a temporary phase which shall revert back to normal good old days. Please do get back to me with the clinical photograph of lips for further assessment and management. Wish you and your family great health. Take care. Best Regards, Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon