What are the possible causes for diarrhea?

I have had diarrhea for almost 4 weeks. I have no other symptoms. I had a colonoscopy 3 yeras ago and my gastorneterologist said it was "great" and come back in 5 years. I went to my gastroenterologist this week and she could not figure out what my problem is. I have no pain, gas, noticeable bleeding or noticeable mucous. She did blood and stool tests which I have not received the results yet. What could be causing my diarrhea? What are the possible causes? Do I have chronic pancreatitis?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: To consider for infective pathology Detailed Answer: Greetings of the day I have patients presenting to me with similar complaints. Diarrhoea of long standing duration requires thorough re-evaluation and assessment. I would like to suggest you the following 1. Infective pathology: Amoebiasis or Giardiasis. Sometimes the stools examination report may be normal. Empirical treatment with Metronidazole may help. 2. Diet factors: certain food stuff may be the culprit. 3. Immunodeficiency: especially if there has been history of significant exposure. Presently going by your complaint of loose motion with no other associated symptoms, things can be taken care off. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD