What are the possible causes for blood in stool?

Hello Doctor, my mother seen blood in the stool for two time today and fifteen days back. not often. why she got like that for 2 times in a month, This is the first time we are seeing it . please suggest
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Blood in stool can occur in a number of conditions. Some of the common causes are hemorrhoids, fissure , polyp, infammtory bowel disease, diverticulosis and malignancy. To know which of these is the cause, sigmoidoscopy test should be done. In this test, a long slender tube is inserted through the anal opening to look inside and see what is causing the bleed. The treatment depends on the cause. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini