What are the possible aging problem after 80's?

Dec 2012

Hi being in good general healh, with a mother who live until 93 with no problems. What may a 85 year old male son reasonaly expect?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on HCM
Your question is an open question and do not know if your answers entails you or your mother. What you should expect as some one is getting older ranges from pyschosocial to physical disorders. You should expect mental function, depressive state or mode, reduced activities etc. You might expect visual disorders, systemic illness such as diabetes, kidney diseases, heart diseases, hypertension, digestive diseases, neurologic problems, infectious as a result of suppressed immune system. These changes are as a result of ageing. The human body when ageing may begin to cause poor performance and hence can predispose to many problems. Your mother might necessary manifest any of the above problems, but with age, they do come and if they come, you will have to include geriatric management.
You should continue living a healthy life and both of you can still have a lot of years before you start getting any serious diseases.

Hope this helps and wish you both the best
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: What are the possible aging problem after 80's? 15 hours later
I am sorry I was not more clear in my question. My mother died at age 93.

I am already aware of the possible aging medical problems. I was asking for a guesstiment based on experience of you guys as to life expectancy for me the son.

I fully realize it is your best judgement only. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

I do understand now. Generally, when there is no family history of any serious medical condition such as cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and other chronic diseases, the prognosis for the siblings is always good. Only accidents and other unforeseen can shorten the lifespan. For you with no particular serious condition (only hypertension which is already under control), you still have a good time to live, probably beyond your mother's age.
But to tell you the truth, when it comes to the department of lifespan (and estimated time when a human can live), there is no human being that can possibly and naturally predict it.
I believe that is what makes life more interesting, you do not know for how long you still have to live.
Just live a cool healthy life and you can still have over 20 years to live without necessarily developing major ageing complications.
Wish you the best
Dr Nsah