What are the overall dangers of taking finasteride 1mg per day for male pattern baldness?

Question
what are the overall dangers of taking finasteride 1mg per day for male pattern baldness
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

Finastride 1mg taken once daily for three months is a best remedy male pattern of baldness.

This acts by reducing the testosterone levels in the hair follicle which is the prime reason for the hair loss.Also the medications reduces the testosterone levels in the blood to small extent and cause the side effects of low testosterone levels.

The commonly encountered side effects are

Gynecomastia (male breasts)
Low muscle mass
anaemia
low sex drive
abnormal ejaculation
testicular pain etc

These side effects are not seen in all.None of them are serious as they do not cause any permanent impairment and the side effects disappear once the medication is stopped.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

regards,

Follow-up: What are the overall dangers of taking finasteride 1mg per day for male pattern baldness? 0 minute later
As well as the above question, the reason I asked, was because, I was taking it for about 2 years, and it had a great effect; but then I was reading warnings by the FDA, regarding prostate cancer, and I stopped taking it, which obviously reversed the results, so now I take regain, but nowhere near as effective, any suggestions, as I don't want to put my health at avoidable risk.
After three months of taking the 1mg finasteride what do I take then doctor.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The role of Finasteride in developing prostate cancer has not been established, evidence suggests it may temporarily affect the functioning of the gland associated with mild benign changes which is well reversible after stopping medication.

Also taking the medication in cycles of 3 months with a gap of two is well accepted and also safe.You can supplement Finasteride with Tugain (Minoxidin 5%) solution for better results.

Hope I cleared your doubt.

Wish you good health.

regards,

Follow-up: What are the overall dangers of taking finasteride 1mg per day for male pattern baldness? 27 minutes later
Im sorry doctor I'm a bit confused by the last comment. You said I can supplement Finasteride for Tugain(minoxidin 5%) solution for better results; is that instead of finasteride, or as inbetween taking finasteride; and if it is instead of finasteride, can I get it over the counter, or is it by prescription only. Many Thanks Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 minutes later

I apologise for the confusion.

Tugain is entirely a different medication.It contains Minoxidil a cutaneous vasodilator.This will increase the blood supply to the scalp when applied.The increase blood supply ensures good health and growth of the hair.

This has to be used in addition to finasteride for better results.