What are the options if you are travelling and taking prescription drugs ?

What are some options if you take prescription drugs and are planning on travelling for an extended period of time, such as a couple of years, to a variety of places?
I take delatestryl weekly and usually get a prescription that provides refills for a year. Would I need a specific prescription/letter from my doctor?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later

The prescription drugs are difficult to be prescribed for an extended period like a couple of years as they usually do need monitoring and doses might need to be regulated. Long term treatment may also show some side effects. Getting a long term prescription of a hormone like Delatestryl is even more difficult as hormone therapy needs to monitored regularly and dosage adjustments are needed according to the response.

You can ask your doctor for a specific letter for long term prescription. It is his discretion whether to give you one or not depending on the disease and your response to the treatment in the past.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: What are the options if you are travelling and taking prescription drugs ? 2 hours later
Makes sense. Sorry for the bother but I was wondering what would you personally suggest if someone was very determined to go travelling for longer than a year? Or would short-term travel be highly recommended for this type of situation?
Thanks a million for the above response! Just want to get a scope of the possibilities in my future.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
There is no need to cut down on your trip due to medical reasons. Rather you can take your medical records with you and get a prescription from a local doctor at your new place.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.