What are the long term side effects of oral contraceptive pills when suffering from PCOS?

Infertility Specialist
hello i was detected PCOS case and with lot treatment i had baby. now mensuration cycle start again its getting trickey to get ur date. i get long periods (15 days) and no preiods for 2 months. my gyne said i might conceived again but USG plevis show no sign. I was looking for oral contraceptive,inject contraceptive option for prevention to regular days, unexpected pregnancy and cure to PCOS. please suggest and please tell if any short term or long term any risk or side effect involves.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: PCOS Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Following is my reply: 1) In PCOS it is possible that you have long periods of amenorrhea ( No periods) varying between 1 to 6 months. Hence you are probably having periods once in 2 days. 2) Another possibility for this prolonged amenorrhea and bleeding for 15 days is any history of weight gain. If you have put on weight and become overweight it increases amenorrhea and bleeding . Hence it is important that you loose weight by balanced diet and good excercise regimen. 3) If you are looking to have another pregnancy dont go for contraceptive as they will delay pregnancy. 4) Contraceptives are not long term solution for PCOS. PCOS cannot be permanently cured. It can be controlled by diet and excercise. 5) Since you said you already conceived once, there are good chances of you conceiving again. 6) Please undergo regular follicular growth scan and have intercourse on the day when you have good sized follicle. 7) If you or your doctor thinks that you are pregnant please get serum beta HCG blood test which will confirm presence or absence of pregnancy. Let me know if you have anymore queries. Regards. Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: What are the long term side effects of oral contraceptive pills when suffering from PCOS? 1 minute later
thanks for Quick reply Doctor i am not looking for any other baby. so for birth control purpose also i like to discuss oral or injection of contraceptive, (risk and sideffects). i will appreciate if u prescribe medicine name i noted about good diet and exercise and im on it. thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depot injections Detailed Answer: Hi, If you are not looking for another baby and want effective contraception to stop bleeding depot injections are good. The disadvantage is that you will not have periods for a long time while you are on it. Hence depot injections are good and no problem of bleeding of 15 days as you do it now. Oral contraceptives need to be taken daily and can be troublesome. They cant give effective control of 15 days bleeding you have. Hence ask for depot injection from your gynecologist who will give you. Hope it helps