What are the long term negative effects of using prilosec?
User rating for this question
I am interested in the long term negative effects of using prilosec
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hypomagnesemia, risk of hip fracture, Gynecomastia Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Omeprazole is potential to cause Hypomagnesemia ( decrease in magnesium level in blood). This may cause seizures, dizziness, abnormal or fast heart beat, or skipped heartbeat, jitteriness, jerking movements or tremors, muscle weakness, spasms of the hands and feet, cramps or muscle aches, and spasm of the voice box. Omeprazole on long term use can also causes hyponatremia ( decrease in sodium level in blood), weight gain, and increased uric acid levels. Further side effects on long term use are 1. Atrophic gastritis 2. Gynecomastia (breast enlargement in females, and breast tenderness) 3. Hepatitis 4. Vitamin B12 deficiency 5. Chronic, persistent cough 6. Palpitations, hypertension 7. Impotence 8. Arthritis and risk of hip fracture It is not necessary to one must have one or all these side effects after long term use of Omeprazole. Side effects varies from person to person for the same drug and at same dose. Most of my patients have tolerated this drug very well. If you have any of these side effects, it is better to consult your treating physician for further management. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
People also viewed
- Squirrel bite that turned into a rash
- What are the long term negative effects of using prilosec
- Prilosec long-term use
- Squatting after a hysterectomy
- Cephalexin 500 dosage for uti
- Sour stomach diarrhea fatigue and pregnancy
- Levothyroxine 50 mcg weight loss
- What are the long-term side effects of taking prilosec
- Augmentin 500 mg side effects
- Amoxicillin 500 mg capsules dosage
- Prilosec long-term use problems
- What are the side effects of prilosec?
- Mutton soup cholesterol
- Stomach ache watery bowels
- Dose for penicillin 500 mg