What are the long term negative effects of using prilosec?

I am interested in the long term negative effects of using prilosec
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hypomagnesemia, risk of hip fracture, Gynecomastia Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Omeprazole is potential to cause Hypomagnesemia ( decrease in magnesium level in blood). This may cause seizures, dizziness, abnormal or fast heart beat, or skipped heartbeat, jitteriness, jerking movements or tremors, muscle weakness, spasms of the hands and feet, cramps or muscle aches, and spasm of the voice box. Omeprazole on long term use can also causes hyponatremia ( decrease in sodium level in blood), weight gain, and increased uric acid levels. Further side effects on long term use are 1. Atrophic gastritis 2. Gynecomastia (breast enlargement in females, and breast tenderness) 3. Hepatitis 4. Vitamin B12 deficiency 5. Chronic, persistent cough 6. Palpitations, hypertension 7. Impotence 8. Arthritis and risk of hip fracture It is not necessary to one must have one or all these side effects after long term use of Omeprazole. Side effects varies from person to person for the same drug and at same dose. Most of my patients have tolerated this drug very well. If you have any of these side effects, it is better to consult your treating physician for further management. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.