What are the long term effects of taking Deanxit? Can I consume alcohol with Deanxit?

Hello, I was recently put on Deanxit (flupentixol 0.5 mg/melitracen 10mg) 1 pill every twelve hours to help with my anxiety and depression. My depression/anxiety was getting so bad that I couldn't concentrate at work and would have panic attacks that I would be fired without reason. I've actually received several commendations recently so this is an unreasonable emotion for me. Since I started to take it about 5 days ago I feel a lot different. I feel more stable. My question is in regards to long-term use. I've been worried because it is banned in my home country but not here in the country I live in now (Hong Kong). Also, are you allowed to drink alcohol on Deanxit? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clarifications Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1) What other medications have you tried? 2) Have you tried any non-medical approaches? 3) How frequently do you take alcohol? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: What are the long term effects of taking Deanxit? Can I consume alcohol with Deanxit? 12 minutes later
1) I haven't tried any other medications because Deanxit was the first one my doctor prescribed for me. 2) I have been thinking of taking Chinese cupping therapy to help with my stress and anxiety, but haven't yet started that. i did take 300 mg of CoQ10 per day for a little while and that helped a bit , but the feelings were really bad so I needed to see a proper GP. 3) I actually don't drink alcohol, but I might want to have a glass of red wine this week. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Answers Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the add on information. Deanxit is a good drug and has been safely used in many patients. The same was banned in india but the ban was revoked. You may use it for longvterm if it is benefitting you. Taking alcohol over deanxit can cause excess sedation and hence should be avoided. However red wine has very less alcohol content and it should not be a problem. Make sure that you dont drive or operate machinery after that. Hope that helps If you want to ask anything more you are free to do so. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy