What are the long term effect of taking antihypertensive medicines?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hi Doctor,

is taking regular anti hipertansive mediciens for a long may cause any side effects, if yes then what kind of side effects they may occur on our body, pls advice.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 56 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for clarifying your medical queries with XXXXXXX Firstly I would like to point out that anti-hypertensive medications are relatively safe and can be taken for prolonged periods without any major side effects. There are minor side effects of these medicines (which I will be highlighting), but their benefit (in terms of reducing blood pressure, cardiac and renal problems) far outweighs their minor side effects.
The medicine which you are taking is a combination of a beta blocker and a diuretic. Beta blockers can lead to slowing of your heart rate and occasionally reduced blood pressure. You might feel a bit dizzy and weak initially but the body gradually adapts. It can sometimes lead to erectile problems and sexual disturbances, which are reversible.
Diuretic is an agent which causes formation of more urine and so you might need to go to the toilet more frequently. That is why it is advisable that you do not take this medicine at night. You might even feel more thirsty sometimes. You might experience mild muscle cramps initially but they gradually improve. In addition it can cause skin rashes & increase your blood sugar.
Although I have listed most of the side effects of these medicines, very few people actually experience them. I would strongly advise that you continue your medicine. In case you experience any side effects, please consult your doctor and he will switch you to some other compound after reviewing your symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any other questions, please feel free to clarify them.