What are the home remedies for white hair and dandruff post pregnancy?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hi Doctor, I am getting lot of white hairs and dandruff these days. I have been using mere shampoo for last several months. Not sure if it the one making a difference.I have stopped feeding for 3 months now. I am not sure if this a vitamin deficiency. I have taken calcium tablets for 6 month post pregnancy. have completely stopped now. I eat reasonable good fruits and vegetables in my diet. Can you please suggest how can I improve my condition naturally? Any home remedies will be highly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: need expanded details Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following points need further clarifications for Ayurveda Management. 1. Type of hair style you usually prefer: do you have long or short hairs AND whether hair are dry or brittle? 2. Falling of hair could also be due to under active thyroid, so please check with your Laboratory/Attending Doctor regarding Thyroid function test (TFT) and Hemoglobin level. 3. dandruff and hair fall go hand in hand [Dandruff leads to irritation and inflammation in the scalp with resulting hair fall] 4. low humidity and any immunocompromised state can also lead to the above said problem? 5. too much calcium in relation to the amount of magnesium in the body can also negatively affect the hair. [ use of calcium for 6 months post pregnancy, please check with values of calcium and magnesium] Please revert back with above concerns for treatment aspect, in the meantime preventive aspect is given below i. Avoid too much exposure to sun. ii. As you are from India, thus summer season is one of the culprits; make sure you take adequate protection for the same. iii. Avoid high extremes of temperature such as used in hair straightening devices. iv. After bath make sure you avoid vigorous toweling of hair, let them dry naturally. v. Make less choice for synthetic hair oils, hair coloring, bleaching, styling and use of dry blowers. vi. Avoid excessive exposure to sun, heat, wind, dust, anger, stress, anxiety, vii. Avoid oily, fried, spicy, hot, fermented and stale food. viii. .Proteins are essential for antibodies production so milk, egg (white), beans, yogurt, soymilk, pumpkin, squash,watermelon,peanuts,almonds, if non-vegetarian (meat) are choices ix. mango, carrots, cantaloupe, egg yolk,apricots,pumpkin,papaya, are ideal x. Vitamin C: is needed for proper functioning of immune system: amla is good option. xi. Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant thus peanuts, dried apricots, cooked spinach taro root can be taken xii. Soap nut (reetha) and shikakai along with Bhringraj and Neelini oil acts as natural conditioner and XXXXXXX you can use it safely. xiii. Vitamin B1 and B2, Omega-6 and Zinc, magnesium, biotin are very effective in treating dandruff so make sure they are a part of regular vitamin intake, XXXXXXX cider vinegar, Olive Oil or Coconut Oil, raw aloe vera juice applied directly to scalp. PS. You need to Consult a Trichologist for your hair loss to rule out any other pathology, who will make sure that you are not affected with any fungal infection of the scalp [eczema/psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis ], [it is not dandruff, but the reasons for dandruff that cause hair loss.] Hope I have given due consideration in taking up your Medical History, any suggestions are Welcome Dr. Munish Sood Naimittika Clinic.
Follow-up: What are the home remedies for white hair and dandruff post pregnancy? 17 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your quick replp. I have a shoulder length Hair which is kind of Dry only. How can I avoid more of white hairs?
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cause & Effect Treatment Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for reverting back with your concern 1. At your age [31] cause is premature whitening of hairs thus reversible factors which can be considered are . STRESS: whether it is physical or mental will cause white hairs thus minimize the stress level in your personal life PS. Avoid: excess physical –mental exertion, sun exposure, corrylium, smoking, errhine therapy, betel leaves, gruel, soup, day time sleeping, garlic, ginger, onion, spicy-heavy- junk food, mustard oil, pickles. - Take: mint, coriander, tomato, cumin, plenty of water, vitamins and mineral supplements, XXXXXXX banana,grapes,dates - You can practice: bhujangasana,halasana, paschimottasana, sarvangasana, shalabhasana, shavasana and vakrasana and pranayamas like bhastrika and kapalbhati. - Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest. Besides those: i. Take 1 spoon black pepper powder and 5 spoons jaggery in 4 cup water and boil till 2 cups remain, filter it and drink for 1 month. ii. Take 3 teaspoons of bitter gourd with a glass of water every morning for a month. iii. Mix 4-5 dates in half glass of water and drink 2 times daily for a month. iv. XXXXXXX almond, banana, broccoli, cantaloupe, melon, carrot, cashew nut, corn, cauliflower, grapes, guava, lemon, mango, orange, pineapple, soybean, spinach have anti oxidant properties so take them in plenty. 2. Improper Diet: Lack of vitamin B12 is the most common cause of white hair. Thus, increase the consumption of food rich in vitamin B12 such as tuna, sardines, salmon, beef, egg, lamb, cheese and milk. PS. also incorporate diet mentioned earlier, food rich in iodine help in preventing grey hair. Fish has a high content of iodine. In addition to this, bananas and carrot also contain some iodine. Water soaked with amla fruit overnight acts as good conditioner and can be used to rinse your hair after a wash. Try to eat as much of this fruit as possible for preventing white hair. 3. Unhealthy Habits: if into any addiction, whether smoking, drinking, taking excess tea/coffee, fried/spicy food [The best way therefore, is to stay away from these things and maintain a healthy lifestyle.] PS. increase intake of minerals: Tyrosinase is a copper containing enzyme that converts tyrosine into melanin. [which gives hair its black colour], Copper can be obtained from calf’s liver, mushrooms, mustard greens, spinach, eggplant, asparagus, peppermint, potato, green beans, cashews, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, XXXXXXX ginger etc [do check with relevant investigations and examination to rule out any hidden/secondary cause of your problem] Dr. Munish Sood Naimittika