What are the further tests to be taken after having potential exposure?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi there. I got potential exposure 9 months. I got DNA PCR tested 18 days after exposure with the result as negative. But after 3-4 weeks, i caught cough, cold and fever. Then i took ELISA test 3 months after potential exposure and then DNA PCR again 5 months after exposure with the results of both as negative. But from 9 months, i catch sore throat problem very frequently and i catch cough n fever very frequently. I was never like this and i did not fell ill in last 6 years. But suddenly, this is happening that is making me worried. Again i got ELISA tested after 8 months when i again had fever with the result as negative. I got tested every time from SRL LABORATORY of RANBAXY in Mumbai, India. I want to ask that do i need further testing? If not, can you please tell me why am I having so bad immunity now only after that potential exposure? Pl do reply I got potential exposure 9 months ago I had night sweats for about a week and i often have headache in morning time.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: HIV status negative Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I understand your concern regarding repeated infections and I want to explain few points regarding HIV status and reasons for low immunity. HIV is Human immunodeficiency virus which causes AIDS. This virus is spread most commonly by sexual route and the best sample to test for HIV is blood sample. During early exposure, best tests for HIV detection are PCR for HIV RNA/DNA and p24 antigen detection. After 3 months of exposure, best test is ELISA for HIV 1 and 2 antibodies. HIV status can be announced as negative if two consecutive tests done give negative results. Coming to your HIV testing details and results, all tests you have undergone have given negative results, so you are definitely HIV negative. You do not need any further testing for HIV. Coming to repeated infections, mostly upper respiratory tract infections definitely indicate low immunity, but allergic causes also have to be ruled out There are many causes of low immunity, most common being malnutrition, increased stress levels, anemia and sedentary lifestyle. I would like to suggest the following tips to boost your immune system: 1. Eat a healthy balanced diet which includes green vegetables and fruits 2. Reduce your stress levels by practicing some relaxation exercises 3. Regular exercise to boost your immunity 4. Avoid cold foods, cold drinks and cold weather I would also suggest you watch out for events which precede your sore throat and upper respiratory infection. Allergic disease usually gets triggered when exposed to particular allergens like dust, pollen or cold weather. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.
Follow-up: What are the further tests to be taken after having potential exposure? 36 minutes later
Isnt that be case that the laboratory doctors of ranbaxy lack inefficiency?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Quality control for HIV tests Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Quality control for HIV tests is very strict and has to be maintained in every lab because there are many psychological, moral, ethical and social issues involved with HIV testing and reporting of HIV tests. So do not worry about the quality of the tests used as they have to go through lots of vigorous testing before being approved to be officially used. Ranbaxy is a reliable laboratory and I would suggest you quit worrying unnecessarily about your HIV status. Please take precautions to avoid any further exposure to HIV/STD. Any intercourse with a partner whose sexual history is not known has to be protected by a barrier/condom. Avoid sharing of contaminated instruments and needles. I hope I have cleared all your doubts. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.